by The Epicentre
Learn about the different shapes of wineglasses and why they are best suited for specific wines with this excellent article from The Epicentre.
A wineglass shape is based on more than simple good looks. Each is designed to capture and enhance the aromas and flavours of individual wines, ensuring maximum enjoyment.
1. Bordeaux Red wines benefit from exposure to air, so a larger wineglass bowl makes sense for reds.
2. Burgundy An oversize rounded bowl captures the rich, full-bodied aromas of burgundies and exposes a generous portion of the wine to oxygenation.
3. Sherry Copita Whether dry or sweet, sherry is best enjoyed from a small, almost straight-sided glass.
4. Champagne Flute The classic shape is tall and thin, to preserve the bubbles in sparkling wines. A long stem prevents the hand from coming into contact with the flute and warming the chilled wine.
5. Port Glass A small tulip shape holds the rich fortified aromas of a good port.
6. Brandy Snifter The large bowl allows brandy or cognac to be swirled and aerated, while the narrow opening captures the liquor's intense, mellow fragrance. A short stem is desirable so that the drinker can cup the bowl in the palm to warm the liquid and release even more flavour.
7. Classic White Wine glass The smaller bowl and long stem is ideal for preserving the temperature of chilled white wine.
8. ISO Glass A diminutive tulip shape is the glass decided upon by the International Standards Organization for all-purpose wine tasting. The strictly governed dimensions are 155mm high in total, with a bowl height of 100mm. The diameter of the opening should be 46 mm. while the bowl at its widest is 65 mm. The small size holds 50 ml(2 oz), making it easy to hold the glass and swirl the wine before sampling. A larger version of this glass is best to have on hand for serving still white, red or rosť wines.
Reprinted with permission from The Epicentre. The Epicentre offers hundreds of useful and interesting tidbits and definitions, and much more about your favorite herbs and spices. There is also a large entertaining section and a fabulous collection of recipes using your favorite herbs and spices. Make sure to check out their premium spice collections too in the marketplace.